Put the party hat on and bring out the birthday poppers, Mackay has just turned 150 and this mining mecca has planned a year-long celebration to remember the city’s rich history and the people who helped carve its path.
If you happen to be in Mackay, try out our Top 10 list of must-do activities:
1. Check out the new Bluewater Art Trail featuring six installations by acclaimed artist, Fiona Foley. The 19-kilometre trail starts at the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens and meanders and along the banks of the stunning Pioneer River. www.artspacemackay.com.au
2. Mackay has 31 pristine beaches including Casuarina Beach, a 1.5 km sandy stretch that’s proven popular with locals at sunset – we’re talking the four-legged furry kind, the kangaroos.
3. Head north of the city to the iconic Eimeo Pub and try a 'counter lunch with a million dollar view' – well worth it not just for the decent tucker, but for the vista across the Coral Sea, Eimeo Beach and Sunset Bay. www.eimeohotel.com.au
4. Take a 3.5 hour tour through the Blair Athol Coal Mine, that leaves Clermont on Tuesdays and Fridays at 8.45 am. Bookings essential on 07 4983 3292.
5. Visit Eungella National Park - one of the most ecologically diverse parks in Queensland and home to one very timid critter: the platypus. There’s guaranteed platypus spotting here. www.eungella.com.au
6. Go back to school at the Old Schoolhouse, a three-guest room B&B converted from a school, and soak in a soothing mud bath. The soil comes from Eulo and the bath comes with bubbles of the drinking kind. www.oldschoolhouse.com.au
7. Head to the Sarina Sugar Shed where three generations of farming comes to life in a miniature working mill and distillery. www.sarinasugarshed.com.au
8. Take a short boat trip across the Whitsunday Passage to the secluded islands of Brampton, Keswick, St Bees, Carlisle or Scawfell and enjoy beachcombing, swimming and bushwalking.
9. Chomp into a Pinnacle Pie at the Pinnacle Pub in Pioneer Valley. There are seven flavours to try - one for every day of the week. www.pinnaclehotel.com.au
10. Fly through the rainforest canopy ala Tarzan or Jane at Finch Hatton Gorge and spot a python or two as you go. www.forestflying.com
For more information, contact:
Publicity Manager | Communications & Publicity
T 61 7 3535 5356 | F 61 7 3535 5563
E email@example.com | W tq.com.au